“Millions of girls face gender discrimination and barriers to their survival and development – like access to quality education or even food – simply because they are young and female.” This message from Allstream customer, Plan Canada, sums up the essence of the International Day of the Girl on October 11.
The Allstream crew set up booths in the lobbies at seven Canadian locations to raise awareness of the event, collect donations, take pictures of the supporters and sell Because I am a Girl shirts and merchandise. People came out to support from our offices in Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, Burlington, Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver. And the support was magnificent, with employees and passerby’s getting in the spirit of the day.
Because I am a Girl FACTS
• 66 million girls of primary and lower secondary school age are not in school
• Girls’ primary school completion rates are below 50% in most poor countries
• More girls have been ‘discriminated to death’, than the total number of deaths in all wars and genocides of the 20th century
• Every 3 seconds another girl is forced or coerced to marry
• 1 in every 3 girls in the developing world is married by the age of 18
• The leading cause of death for young women aged 15-19 in developing countries is pregnancy
• An extra year of secondary school increases a girl’s potential income by 15 to 25 per cent
• Each extra year of a mother’s schooling cuts infant mortality by between 5 and 10 per cent
• An increase of only 1 per cent in girls secondary education attendance, adds 0.3 per cent to a country’s GDP
Photos from the Allstream Crew
Allstream President, Dean Prevost, and CIO, Gary Davenport, showing their support.
Allstream’s Denise Pontes & Nicole Francis wearing their pink to support Day of the Girl.
Tom Jolly, VP Marketing, chatting with Alexandra Walsh, Senior Manager of Corporate Communications.
Allstream’s Deki Jamyangling and Nicola Samuels lending their time in the Toronto lobby.
Allstream’s Montreal office.
Check out more of our photos in the Raise Your Hand for Girls’ Education photo gallery. And if you missed International Day of the Girl but would like to participate or donate, visit Because I am a Girl to raise your hand.